Increase Patient Satisfaction in Dietary Services and Improve Overall Hospital Scores!
Late trays and/or unappealing food are major patient dissatisfiers and can cause a hospital to receive a lower all-over patient satisfaction score. Food is an extremely important source of entertainment and pleasure for many individuals, and for hospitalized patients who are bored or anxious, dietary services often takes on increasing importance. Here are a few ideas submitted by hospital peers to increase patient satisfaction in both traditional and Room Service models!
Room Service, Please!
- Room Service is a very appealing idea for many patients – but if you offer limited service hours, make sure to phone all patients who have not ordered by an hour before services stop and remind them of service end time
- Ensure proper patient understanding of room service through simplified instructions
- Have the tray service attendants obtain all menus to ensure that patients get what they want the first time
- Call patients if they have not ordered a meal within a set time frame
Preventing Late Trays (No Room Service)
- To keep food fresh when delivered, make extra trays (cook/chill) and heat some at mealtimes, keeping some cold for late tray use
- Call or visit nursing stations/patient rooms about an hour before meal times to verify changes in diet, admit status, hold trays, etc. and avoid any late trays more »